How to Make Opulent Opal Earrings
Published December 2012
Designed By Katie Hacker / Content Supplied by Beadalon
Stringing, Crimping, Simple Wire loop
Materials & Tools
2 crystal AB 6mm Crystallized™ - Swarovski Elements bicones
80 palace green opal 4mm Crystallized™ - Swarovski Elements rounds
2 gray pearl 8mm Crystallized™ - Swarovski Elements rounds
2 silver sparkle 3mm rounds
4 clear 2mm oval Bead Bumpers™
2 silver eye pins
2 silver 25mm kidney ear wires
Silver small cable chain
40" length of .013" diameter Beadalon 49
Round nose pliers
Chain nose pliers
Beadalon bead stringing glue
1.Follow the instructions below to make two beaded beads using palace green opal crystals.
2.Cut six one-inch lengths of chain and attach three to each eye pin loop.
3.Pass an eye pin through a pearl, beaded bead and bicone and make a basic loop; repeat for the other pin.
4.Slide the beaded dangle from Step 3 onto an ear wire, then use chain nose pliers to press the lower portion of the ear wire shut to prevent the dangle from sliding off; repeat for the other earring.
5.String a sparkle bead and two Bead Bumpers™ onto each ear wire as shown. Making a beaded bead.
6. Cut 20" of .013" wire.
7. String 5 beads onto the center of the wire and pass the wire end through the opposite side of the last bead to form a circle.
8. Pass one wire end through 4 beads and through the opposite side of the last bead on the first stitch to form two interlocking circles.
9. Pass one wire through 3 beads and pass the other wire through the opposite side of the last bead so there are now three interlocking circles.
10. Repeat this technique until you have a sphere.
11. Keep checking your work to make sure that each interlocking circle is made up of 5 beads each.
12. You will need to add just one bead to connect the last two circles.
13. Then, stitch the wire ends through the bead as necessary so they come out next to each other and then tie them in a knot.
14. Add a small drop of glue, let it dry, and cut off any excess wire.