How To: Gemoro Sure Gauge ® XL Digital Gemstone Pocket Gauge
Published: February 24, 2013
Updated: February 24, 2020
Table of Contents
- Gauge Specifications
- Features of the Digital Caliper
- Before Using the Digital Caliper
- How to Take a Measurement with the Gemoro Sure Gauge ® XL
- How to Replace the Battery
- Troubleshooting the Digital Gemstone Pocket Gauge
- Using the Gemoro Sure Gauge ® to Estimate the Carat Weight of a Gemstone
The Gemoro Sure Gauge ® XL Digital Gemstone Pocket Gauge is used to measure the dimensions of a gemstone. Using a digital gauge for measuring gemstones can yield better precision and accuracy than an analog gem gauge or ruler.
The Gemoro Sure Gauge ® XL Digital Gemstone Pocket Gauge can be used to take four kinds of readings:
- Outside Measurements
- Inside Measurements
- Depth Measurement
- Step measurement
- Measuring Range: Zero to 100mm or 3/4 of an inch
- Resolution: 0.01mm or .0001 inches
- Power Source: One 1.5V battery, or LR44
Features of the Digital Caliper
- "Zero out" or Tare the caliper in any position
- Convert between millimeter and inch measurements instantly by simply pushing the MM/INCH button
Before Using the Digital Caliper
- Clean the surface of the slider and all measuring faces with a clean, dry cloth.
- Loosen the locking screw, move the display and slider assembly, and ensure the LCD and all buttons work properly.
- Tare the unit by pushing "Zero" so the display reads 0.00mm or 0.000in.
How to Take a Measurement with the Gemoro Sure Gauge ® XL
- Press the On/Off button to turn on the caliper.
- Press the MM/INCH button to select the desired mode.
- Loosen the locking screw.
- Move the slider until the two external measuring faces touch gently.
- Press the ZERO button to set the caliper to zero
- Place your gemstone on a flat surface
- Close the external measuring faces to fit snugly against the gemstone
- Read the measurement on the LCD display
How to Replace the Battery
An abnormal display (or no display) indicates a weak battery, To replace it:
- Open the battery cover with your thumb and push away from your body
- Remove old battery
- Insert new 1.5V LR44 battery with the positive side facing UP.
Troubleshooting the Digital Gemstone Pocket Gauge
Problem: Flashing Digits
Possible Cause: Low Voltage
Solution: Replace Battery
Problem: No Display
Possible Cause: Low Voltage, Poor Contact
Solution: Replace Battery, Adjust and Clean battery housing/seat
Problem: LCD Display doesn't change
Possible Cause: Circuit miscommunication
Solution: Remove battery, wait one minute for circuit to reset, then replace battery
Note: To avoid damage to the calipers' electronics, do not apply voltage on any part of the digital caliper, or engrave it with an electric pen. This will cause the circuit board inside your digital gauge to short circuit.
Using the Gemoro Sure Gauge ® to Estimate the Carat Weight of a Gemstone
The Gemoro Sure Gauge ® XL Digital Gemstone Pocket Gauge can be used to estimate the carat weight of a gemstone. For information on how to do so, check out the Gemoro Guide For Gemstone Weight Estimating/Replacement Book (item number KSV95).