Gemstone lover, teacher, mentor, linguist, musician, opera enthusiast…husband, son, brother, friend. Throughout his life, Jerry Sisk wore many different hats, and he wore each with pride.
Jerry's love for gems dated back to the late 1950's. As a young boy visiting friends in New York, he took a walk along the shoreline and discovered a brightly colored pebble. It was love at first sight. As a teenager, he had the opportunity to work for a jeweler in New Jersey. Once he moved to Knoxville, TN, for college, he worked for a retail store selling exceptionally fine jewelry. Each of these experiences furthered his interest in the world of gemstones.
As more time passed, Jerry became involved in what was, at the time, a new and growing industry television home shopping. In 1993, he co-founded America's Collectibles Network, now Jewelry Television ® with friends Bob Hall and Bill Kouns. As Executive Vice President of JTV, Jerry traveled to over 40 countries worldwide, had a deep appreciation for many cultures and was well versed in challenges of gemstone mining and jewelry manufacturing.
At the pinnacle of his professional career Jerry:
- • Received his Graduate Gemologist diploma from gemological Institute of America
- • Was a member of the International Colored Gemstone Association
- • Served as a Gemstone Industry and Laboratory Conference committee member
- • Received an international award from the Indian Diamond and Colorstone Association
- • Edited the book, 'Guide to Gems and Jewelry' published in 2011
- • Saw one of his visions fulfilled when his diligent work and gemstone expertise made it possible for Jewelry Television to partner with Gem-A, the world's oldest established provider of gem education located in London, England; certification was established to offer JTV customers the opportunity to explore gemstones in depth and earn a certificate from Gem-A
- • Was recognized by JCK as one of the world's five most influential people in the world of gems
- • Set such a high standard for gemstones sold by Jewelry Television that gemstone vendors worldwide had to offer JTV only the best stones, essentially changing the pricing structure of gemstones globally
In lieu of flowers, donations in Jerry's memory may be made to Beads of Courage.
Articles Written by Jerry:
- • Alloying: Exotic Gold Colors and Gold Purity
- • The Wonders of Gold
- • December Blues
- • Gemstone Beauty: The Science Behind the Sparkle and Shine
- • Gemstone Shape vs. Gemstone Cut
- • Natural or Artificial?
- • Phenomenal Gems
- • Why We See Gemstone Color
- • Amethyst: February's Birthstone
- • Aquamarine: March's Birthstone
- • Citrine: November's Birthstone
- • Diamond, King of Gemstones
- • Emerald: May's Birthstone
- • Garnet Varieties: January's Birthstone
- • Hemimorphite
- • Opal Varieties
- • Pearl, Nature's Living Gemstone
- • Peridot: August's Birthstone
- • Quartz Varieties
- • Ruby: July's Birthstone
- • Sapphire, Gemstone of Many Colors
- • Sphalerite: A Brilliant Treasure
- • Spinel, The Mystery Stone
- • Tanzanite, Pride of Tanzania
- • What is YAG?